BMW R1200GS Aux light replacement

Started by Fluke, September 07, 2016, 04:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fluke

Darren sent over this install guide of his replacement of his old Aux with our Cree v3 units. Many thanks for taking the time

I saw your note on letting you know how the install went or offering any advice.

Please see the attached photos on the install on my 2010 BMW R1200 GS Adventure.

The existing auxiliary lights were past their best and the inner lamp sections had become detached from the external casing and were rattling around.

I wanted to keep the existing wiring and switching where possible.

On the GSA the auxiliary lights are fitted to a light bar using welded on bosses.

The original fixings were not suitable for the new LEDs, so I removed them with a hacksaw and filed them down

Leaving the weld on either side created a flat surface for the new LED fixings.

A 6mm hole was drilled in the centre for the bolt, although I need a slightly longer one than supplied.

Since the original wiring had already been replaced and cut about due to corrosion I opted for removing the BMW plugs rather than vice versa.

I cut off the original BMW plugs in a staggered formation, so that when the through crimps were added, the cable wouldn't bee too bulky at any one point.

I used red through crimps, the ones with added heat shrink and glue in the ends. These are crimped then heated up for a sealed, solid connection.

Prior to adding the crimps I had slid two lengths of heat shrink up the wiring, then once crimped, slid these down and heated them up.

I used two pieces for added protection.

Finally I squirted some ACF50 corrosion block grease in the deutsh connectors and clipped them together, then cable tied the wiring neatly up under the beak.

Please feel free to use any of the information above or photos.

Hopefully the LEDs will do well as I do a lot of mileage. My current 2010 GS (in the piccies) already has 115,000 miles on it and this increases at approx 3,000 per month.

Many thanks for your prompt service.