BMW K1100LT Installation

Started by JohnB, May 25, 2009, 02:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnB

Please note that cameras do not capture the brightness of the LED lighting used in our products

Bike - BMW k1100lt ?92 

I decided that soft soldering spliced wires would be better than use of ?cheap run of the mill? snap connections, as thin wires on ?Bullet? lights may render snap connections unstable.  Two sets of ?Bullets? used - spliced into two loom locations - after careful consideration final positions decided upon. (I changed my mind several times prior to commitment!)  Old proverb says ?think twice-cut once?

1. With tape, mark out top position (unconventional modified ?Bullets? fitting)

2. With tape, mark out bottom position (conventional ?Bullets? fitting)

3. Use template from instructions sheet to mark hole positions

4. Top steel right angle brackets (bent to approx 30 degrees) 10p b&q & paint black

5. Screw bracket with ?rubber gasket underneath?, (taken from puncture repair kit) to existing fairing windshield screw hole (using longer screw) ...easy!

6. Remove ?inside top fairing? - position to drill out cable hole. (Drill in situ)

7. Attach ?Bullet? and thread cable in place ...easy!

8. Remove plastic lower fork yolk cover, drill cable holes fitting ?Bullets?- solder spliced wires together underneath, and wrap with insulating t ape.... Easy!

9. Reposition yolk & cable clip wire ?up hydraulic brake pipe/abs wire?   to top fairing

10. Bare lighting looms from fuel gauge right /temp gauge left, splice solder and insulate with tape/ securing cables afterwards. Remember stripe on Bullet loom +

11. Refit faring inside panels, turn on ignition (after photo)...hey presto...fantastic!

12. ?Bullets? seen inside semi closed? garage. Next step is to get red ?Bullets? for rear!

13. Treated myself to a cold bottle of Glastonbury ?golden chalice ? beer.  The best!

Fluke

Many thanks... looks great job and also the Ale :).

It was good to see your improvised brackets used for mounting, though most bikes don't need this kind of fabrication, it lets you mount them up high which is a great place to get your bike seen.