Resolved: Adjustments to Brake Modulator Function

Started by martin999, December 21, 2009, 07:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin999

Hi Dan,

A little project I am thinking of means that I will have two separate arrays of LEDs, one for tail light and one for brake light.  I want the brake light array to look separate from the tail light array, but the normal operation of the brake modulator holds the LEDs at 30% power, thus defeating the object of the exercise.

To add to this, my initial tests with my current LED bulb don't show as much of a difference as I would like between the intensities of 30% running and 100% braking power applied to the LEDs.

So the question is.... Is there any way to adjust / modify the Brake Mod so that the 30% power can be reduced or even disabled completely?

Thanks! - Martin.

Fluke

Hi Martin,

I have just been speaking with the designer of the Brake Mod and it is possible to disable the 30% on, the only side effect is the timer no long works so if whenever you hold the brake on after a second it will always start it's modulation.

To achieve this disconnect modulators red wire and connect it to the yellow switched feed also.

After doing this the Brake LEDs will not light at all until the brake is applied.

Keep me posted how it goes, but I think it will work how you want like this.

Regards

martin999

Thanks for the reply Dan, I'll give it a go.

I'll also take a look at what the output is actually doing at 30% and 100%.  If the output lends itself to driving a comparator and the switching times are fast enough,  I could use the output of a comparator to drive the LEDs via a FET when the 30% is exceeded. That way the timer function remains unaffected.

The LEDs I want to use are on back order until Feb, so I have some time to think about it a little more!!

Cheers!

Fluke

John at SMiDSY who makes our LED Brake mod for us mentioned a change maybe next year to add a option to disable the 30% on. He also offered to build you a custom unit mid Jan if you want to preserve the timer function.

Regards

martin999

Hi Dan,

Thank you, that's a very kind offer from John and one that I would like to take him up on.  Please pass on my thanks and let me know by PM what you need from me.

Cheers - Martin.

Fluke

Thats great Martin, I'll let him know... once he's made the custom unit I'll contact you about exchanging them at no cost to yourself :-)

Have a great xmas and happy safe new year