Resolved: Duallys Questions (& HID Beam pattern)

Started by krakastan, December 23, 2011, 06:30:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krakastan

Hi,

It has been suggested (separate discussion but will assume true for this thread!) that a HID upgrade to a Street Triple will have limited benefit because the beam pattern on the stock lenses is not good.

1) Would be interested on your comments Dan on whether the beam pattern would really nullify the benefit.

2) Also, would the duallys be a better, or as good an option to the HID upgrade? (How do they compare to the HID conversion kits)

Specifically on the Duallys....

3) Are these best for seeing the road, being seen or both

5) The write up says  "WARNING: These lights are so bright we would urge any owner to please be courteous when other traffic is around and switch them off!." Does this mean they are not suitable for normal low beam uk road use?

Thanks

(seems the questions just keep coming - but really appreciate your help :-)

Fluke

Hi... I'll try and help here.

1. Beam pattern on cheap HID kits can be all over the place and this is usually easy to spot on reflector headlights. Generally the beam cutoff is not as it should be and light spills into areas it should not be (causing glare to oncoming traffic)

Our HID bulbs are pretty much the best our there and emulate a halogen very well... I've never heard of a MOT failiure because of one. Of course for the very best light control a projector lens is always preferable, but these are only fitted on a handful of bikes from stock.

2. The duallys are designed as a off road light as such they throw as much light as is possible down road. On a quiet country road at night this is perfect as it floods the road ahead, but city riding they should be left off as 1300 Lumens is a lot of light from a tiny light source (1300 Lumens is more than a standard HID)

3. They are best to use for road lighting...  for being seen a running light would be better (like our Cree lights)

5. (what happened to 4 :)) I would not use them as low beam on the road... but with some careful adjustment you could align them towards road only to remove glare for oncoming traffic, though in turn you would lose the benefit of distance road lighting.

It's a tough one, there are so many options... another less extreme option is the Solstice Solo lights, these run a little less intense at 900 Lumens.

krakastan

very full answer - thanks
oh decisions decisions  :-\

(4 got merged into two and i forgot to renumber....:-)