BMW R1200 GS Installation

Started by skyenet, January 17, 2010, 12:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skyenet

Please note that cameras do not capture the brightness of the LED lighting used in our products

There will be many ways to wire in the LED lights but after reading advice from here http://www.r1200gs.info/howto/relay.html I decided to wire the lights using a relay connected to the Canbus system via a lead on the BMW Diagnostic plug.  I had other items to wire in and also have sidepanels on my GS so added switches and a project box to my install and have detailed that install further down.

I positioned the LED lights on my Left and Right Touratech Handguard Extensions and on the front left and right indicator bodies.  I routed all the wires to just above the FPC.  From there I ran a positive and negative wire towards the battery area.  You could then wire up a Relay (Maplin N02AW) to the wires.  The negative wire from the LED goes to Earth.  The Positive wire goes to pin 87 on the relay.  For 12V power I used an inline Fuse Holder (Maplin MX15R) connected to the positive terminal of the battery and then wired to Pin 30 on the relay.  I then connected a Scotchlok 560B connector to the green wire with blue striped wire leading to the BMW Diagnostic Plug, and ran a wire from this to Pin 85 on the Relay.  To finish the relay wiring, wire Pin 86 to Earth.   When the ignition is switched on power flows from the connector on the green wire with blue striped wire, down to Pin 85 and switches on the Relay connecting Pin 30 to Pin 87 and sending power to the LEDs.

Wiring Diagram

Scotchlok connector tapping into green wire with blue striped wire at BMW Diagnositic Plug

Inline Fuse Holder (you cut red wire to fit)

Relay

Scotchlok Connector

LED Positions

LED Lights OFF

LED Lights ON

Photos here  http://www.flickr.com/photos/skyenet/sets/72157623083916015/

Fluke

Thanks so much for the guide, alot of thought has gone into this and it shows as it's a fantastic install.

Regards