BMW F800GS LED Brake Modulator Installation

Started by dacrazyrn, January 24, 2010, 09:19:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dacrazyrn

Finished the install of the Brake Modulator on the 09 BMW F800GS.  Fairly simple.  A little trial and error to get her to go...but it works, and works well.  The only thing different from the description is that it will not have the 5 second "timeout."  It WILL flash every time you hit the brakes.  Don't care here.
Remove the seat, remove tailbag plate, and the pillon "jesus" handles.  Remove the tail section piece.  2 torx bolts.  You will see this.

and this is close up.

There is a grey and white striped "power" wire and the brown ground wire that go into the LED brake light.  Only ones there.  The turn signal wires run through here also.Cut the grey/white wire after stripping it back down the line some (should have done more-oh well).  Decided to run the power and ground to the CenTech AP-1 I have in the tail.  Hooked everything up and found that it would only modulate 1 time, and modulating when the power comes on.  Talked with Fluke of BikeVis in this forum area.  Was reading other parts of the BikeVis forums as found the schematic involving something else.

And figured well if the BMW wire is constantly feeding 30% power, than the red wire can go to that also.  So the red and yellow coming in to the modulator, pink going out.  Walla.  Works just like it should.  The ground can be tapped into the brown wire here, there are quite a few grounds around there to use also.  I sent it to my CenTech.

All fits in there real well.  Tested it all again.  Decided to crimp them together with antivibration parts.  Was going to solder...maybe down the road, if all goes well.  Shrink wrapped them for fun.  Zip tied all the wires.   Retest and all is well!

Fluke

Thanks for the guide...  deffo good info for other BMW riders with LED brake setups.

Regards