News:

14/04/2022 - Summer is almost here!

Main Menu

Resolved: Courier bike

Started by bobvfr, September 17, 2011, 09:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobvfr

I am an Addison Lee courier with probably 3/4 of a million miles of riding under my belt.

The bike I currently use is a company supplied CB600f (I also own a VFR and an old CB750),

I have an issue with the CBF, if you look at the bike from the front right hand side there are no lights visible unless you have the main beem on and that is something I don't like to do as I hate being blinded by others so don't do it myself.

I will expand on that to make it clear.

With the VFR on dip, both left and right headlights are on dip, on main beem both left and right lights are on main beem. The CBF has a different set up, the left light is a permenant dip the right is a switchable main beem. It does have a pair of running lights but these are so poor as to be almost invisible when set against a background of west end or city lighting.

I don't have an issue at night on country roads, it is dusk and darkness in the city that worries me with people pulling out without seeing me in the gloom.

The other problem is the CBF has an underpowered alternator or piss poor battery so can't use or power loads of extra wattage.

I have spoken to our fleet manager but not had a a reply yet so I am prepared to upgrade my bike to show them the difference by myself.

So a couple of questions:

1 Do you know if your upgrade running light LED's will fit the CBF?

2 Do you do other LED bulbs to replace maybe the indicator or tail light bulbs so I can save wattage?

3 If I do save a bit of wattage will I have enough spare to run maybe a pair of you bullets of a strip of LED's on the fairing on the right hand side?

If I go ahead with this there is a chance of a large bulk order from Addison Lee.

I also have another idea, given the low alternator output/poor battery. I am considering a solar panel on the top box (We have large ones) to power LED's on and inside the topbox (You try finding anything in a black large topbox in winter and it is my black torch I am normally looking for).

I know this second project isn't what you do but again if I find a solution this could also result in a large order from my company and all the other courier companies as they follow suit.

I may add I am not a mechanical or electrical expert so please keep any answers simple.

I will also be looking to upgrade the lighting on my VFR.

Yours Bob (Alias Papa 62).

Fluke

Hi Bob and welcome

I can see you problem and I hate to think of the problems you must have riding for a living, it's bad enough just commuting these days.

1. You could replace the sidelight bulbs with 1 Watt wedge LEDs but I dont think you would notice any real change in the way people notice you.

2. Replacing indicator bulbs is not usually worthwhile as they need to be very omnidirection and it messes up the flasher pattern usually with the stock flasher unit. Retrofitting brake / rear light LEDs also has mixed results on a tail cluster designed for a omnidirectional filament bulb.

3. Our new Bullet light are certainly bright and in the gloom of city riding would certainly help, and offer the cheapest and least power hungry solution.

I think possibly the very best option would be a set of our Cree running lights, they are super bright in all riding conditions... though fitting would require some DIY as every bike is different. They are also very low current at aorund 0.75Amp.

The solar idea is great, but as far as i know a small panel produces very little output in the grand scheme of things (when comparing to starter motor currents etc), and would certainly only provide the very smallest of trickle charges.

Let me know your thoughts, there are many many options so the sky is the limit to the mods you could do to get you seen.

Regards

bobvfr

Many thanks for the reply Dan.

We have mechanics who would fit the lights, the Bullet or Cree ones would easily fit on the engine crash bars although I would still want to also go for the Wedge sidelight bulb replacement as the colour of the standard bulbs is very yellow, having a slightly blue-er (Whilst not actually being blue as to upset Mr Plod) colour would be a help as anything that puts the seed of doubt into a car driver is a good thing, like using a white Shoei Multitech with a mike boom on, works in daylight.

I will be seeing the mechanics and our fleet manager this week and will put the idea to them, I will also show them this website and hope they get the idea. Our chief mechanic is the sceptical one as he does spend a lot of time replacing batteries.

Bob

Fluke

Thanks Bob, let me know what they think... maybe start with some Bullets and see how they perform as cheap and small / easy to fit.

Regards

RCE

The CB600F will have plenty of power for a brace of bullets without going to the expense of LED tail lamps which as Dan says will be pretty dire unless you go for the replacement LED light units rather than the LED bulbs.

The AL topboxes are really part of the bike aren't they ? In which case I would look at hard wiring the internal illumination, a cheap microswitch to sense the lid opening and something like a bullet or 2 to provide the illumination. Get the parts and your mechanics should be able to come up with a bracket design that could carry the microswitch and bullet. As long as you remember to close the lid the current draw over a day will be minimal.

bobvfr

Although the topboxes are bolted to the bike in place of the rear seat, they aren't really part of the bike, they stay with the rider, for example when I have a service day, the box is taken off and transfered to a service bike, or if my in bike is in for repairs, again the box comes off and goes on the replacement.

The top box idea isn't that urgent compared to the lighting upgrade, it was more of a thought.

I had another look through the product pages last night, I think I am going to go for the sidelight replacement, a pair of bullets and a set of the LED strips to put on the fairing to give a more side on light than the actual side lights that or almost hidden.

I should see the mechanics and fleet manager tomorrow.

Bob

bobvfr

Typical, didn't get anywhere near the office.

So as I really want to get moving on this regardless of the company, I will just order the stuff I want and then show the bike to the mechanics and fleet manager.

I do have one last question.

I took one of the running lights out to check the bulb, it is about 9mm in diameter with small pins near the bottom, will the wedge replacements fit (Pic attached).

If not, it's not a panic as I will still go with the bullets and the strips.

Bob

RCE

No won't fit that is a bayonet lamp.

Fluke

Thanks RCE, to confirm the wedge LEDs won't fit your bike. We are looking at getting something in store in the future for older type fittings though.

Regards

bobvfr

Ordered Thursday evening, posted Friday, arrived Saturday.

I got permission to fit them on the proviso of not drilling (Luckily there were places to run the wires in just the right places) yesterday and fitted them this afternoon.

Heading down the Brixton rd in the morning will be interesting.

I took the pics using my phone, the flash went off and the pics don't do the lights justice, especially the strips.

Many many thanks for the help.

Bob

bobvfr

From the front showing the bullets as well as the strips.

Fluke

Hiya

That looks really good... thanks for sharing. The new Bullet 2s are super bright.

Keep us posted how you find them in day to day use.

Regards

bobvfr

So far, fantastic, yesterday I noticed people seeing me and pulling over, even though I was heading along the embankment with the sun behind me in the afternoon.

Today I was up and down the M1, it may be a real coincidence, but I have never had so many cars getting out of my way.

Can't wait to test them properly in the dark ;-)

Bob

Fluke

Hi Bob, that's really good news and just the effect you needed.

I think people see you and the initial reaction is the don't know what you are so move a little.... but thats a good thing, the bigger the gap the safer for you.