Installing running lights INSIDE my indicator...?

Started by craigiebaby, May 05, 2017, 12:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craigiebaby

Hi there, trying to figure out a way to install some running lights (LEDS) inside my indicator(s).

On a Triumph Sprint ST and I've fitted clear lenses on the indicators - thought it would be nice if I could add white LEDs in there to act as running lights - but - how could I get them to switch off automatically when the indicator is activated?

Thanks...

Fluke

Hi

Thanks for you question.

It's a interesting idea for sure, but not easy to do. The below is the simplest I can think of.

Each 'side' of  running lights would have to be powered by the normally closed contacts of a small relay (so two relays in total)

You would have to use either switched 'side' of your turn signal switch to energise the corresponding relay, and in turn that would open the normally closed contact and turn off the running lights while you turn signals are running.

You could achieve the same with one relay if you wanted all running lights to go out regardless of turn signal side, but this would also require a couple of diodes in the feeds from turn signal switch to relay coil. The diodes would prevent all your turn signals coming on at the same time.

GrahamH

I have been able to do this using a single 'time delay' relay and 2 diodes.  The relay is triggered by power to either indicator and switches off the running lights for about 30 seconds.  Without the time delay the running lights will flash in sync with the indicators.  When the indicators are turned off the running lights come on again after the 30 second delay.

GrahamH

Fluke