Honda VFR800X Crossrunner - Auxiliary Lighting Install

Started by fredbloggs, October 06, 2013, 06:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fredbloggs

Having recently installed HID xenon lighting I was slightly disappointed with the spread of light offered by the reflector on main beam, it seemed to be too scattered, so I decided to fit some auxiliary lighting. After much searching I chose the 60 degree wide beam lights from Bikevis as they offered the best solution and quality along with good after sales service.
The physical mounting is easy enough, positioning is down to personal taste and beam requirements, however the electrical install I wanted was a bit more complex. I needed to hide as much wiring as possible, also I wanted the option of the aux lights to come on with hi beam and be used as daytime running lights (needing to be extinguished at night on low beam). To achieve this I would need a relay to stop power being fed back to the hi beam light when in DRL mode.
The placement of the wiring wasn't too difficult. I removed the handlebar plastics and opened up the left switch gear harness to expose the blue hi beam wire. To this I connected a wire that would in turn be connected to terminal 86 of the relay. Terminal 85 connects to ground.
To power the aux lights I took a feed from the accessory fuse in the fuse box to terminal 30 then connected the red wires of the aux lights to terminal 87. I connected the black wires from the aux lights to the frame. With this configuration the aux lights will come on with hi beam. The relay and wiring sits neatly behinds the black plastic cowl next to the fuel tank.
To add a DRL function I included a separate switch between terminals 30 and 87. This now makes the aux lights independent of the hi beam circuit. Also they extinguish with the ignition off.
At a later date I might also add some bullets so have installed a 2 way switch (on/off/on) that makes it easy to wire them in to the existing circuit. I hope all of this makes sense.

Fluke

Hi

Many thanks for taking the time to post up the diagram. Sounds like you made a great job of the install (I think I had the pleasure of seeing your bike in person when I delivered the lights and it's a lovely machine!)

Regards