Honda NC700X - front & rear bullets, TSR-2 plus modulators

Started by woodbar, September 28, 2013, 12:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbar

This all started as a simple "I wonder if....." - I raised the question in the Technical Section as to whether you could run a pair of red bullets from the LED Brake light modulator instead of a Tail/brake unit?

The definitive answer - "maybe" - so I thought I would find out!   If it is not successful it will be a simple matter to change the module - but I hope it is as I would like the strobed brake effect for the bullets.

The project has now expanded to include:

1) Rear red bullets - driven by BMLED (or Tail/Brake unit)

2) Front white bullets - driven via a Pod Modulator

3) Turn signal reminder - TSR-2 - as I do sometimes forget and I hope the modulated flashes will be better than the bleeper type as I use pretty effective ear plugs anyway!  I am assuming the TSR-2 has a light sensor and therefore needs to be "in the open" as it is supposed to dim and not modulate at night?

I had intended to splice into the Stop/Tail signals at the rear light cluster and the Turn signals/Side light at the front end - but then I thought it would be easier to obtain ALL the feeds from the rear light and run the required ones through a new bit of trunking to the front of the bike - so that's what I have done.

This write-up will be in installments as I have only ordered the BikeVis bits today and I also need to get some aluminium flat bar to make some mounting brackets for the bullets - there seems to be no flat surfaces, parallel with the "trajectory" of the bike for sticking the bullets on!

Hopefully, when it's done it will make me a bit more visible and safe - I have only returned to 2 wheels in the last couple of years (after a very long break!) and I am just horrified by the number of blind, I.Q. deficient people that are allowed to drive 4 wheeled vehicles!  There should be a law against it!  There is?

Anyway - first installment in the next post........

woodbar

.... here we go - this will cover the splicing into the main bike wiring and the installation of the bulk of the new looms etc.

First of all I removed the rear light unit - that was my first surprise as I expected to see the normal motorbike mini multi-plugs BUT these are tiny - more electronic component than vehicular!

Anyway - I cut the OEM looms 2 inches or so away from the original multi-plugs and inserted new multi-plugs to rejoin them, adding extra wires to the bike side of each wire as I did so.

Another view with it all plugged together and some split armour fitted on the new loom

This method allows you to remove the rear cluster when required for bulb change (silly system?) etc. by disconnecting the new multi-plugs.

The multi-plugs and cables have to fit through a small aperture in the back end of the fender/light support unit - they will JUST fit but I elongated the hole a bit to make it easier - it's only plastic so its easy to drill/file.

Next I installed the light unit and connected all the plugs - be careful to route the cables/plugs sympathetically as it's fairly compact but it will all fit - this view is looking up under the rear fender - ready to refit the plastic cover.

After I took this shot I added a plastic cover over 2 of the exposed ends of the bolts that hold the pillion seat hinge as they protrude right next to the new loom.

Now going topside you can see the new loom from the rear light multi-plugs (which will terminate in a 6 way multi-plug) and another loom I have run up to the front of the bike with 4 feeds - Tail, Left turn, Right turn and Ground.  The turn signals/ground are for the TSR-2 and the Tail feed will power the front Pod Modulator/Bullets as well as a small relay for my heated grips (another project!).

The 6 way multi-plug, Bullet module and connections will all stow neatly in the hollow tail section above the rear light - but for now that's as far as I can get - waiting on my BikeVis bits and some multi-plugs to arrive - hope "postie" doesn't go on strike!

At least that's all the main looms and splicing done.

To be continued.........

Fluke

Hi

Thanks for the detailed write up on your wiring prep, very tidy work!!

Sometimes the planning for a job is the most fun (well that's what I find)

The modulated flashes from the TSR-2 should be very visible.... shamefully stolen from fitting guide -

The SMiDSY TSR-2 Visual Turn Signal Reminder is mounted in
the cockpit area of your bike and contains an amazingly bright
green LED that is visible even in direct sunlight. In addition, the LED
is modulated (a flicker effect) that you will notice even out of the
corner of your eye. As light levels drop towards dusk, so does the
output level of the LED. Once it is dark, the LED will continue to flash
at a dim level, but without the modulation, so as not to be
distracting when riding at night.

It does need to be visible / in the open to some extent anyway to be seen, but you should still be able to tuck it out of the way somewhere in the cockpit.

Keep us posted how you get on

Regards

woodbar

O.K. - my BikeVis bits and pieces and the multi-plugs have arrived so here we go with the next stage.

Had a rethink as to how to make all the connections in the bike tail section and decided against using a main 6 way MP - I wanted to provide a spare Ignition controlled feed at both ends of the bike for any future expansion as well as being able to isolate or remove any individual part of my additional kit (bullets, modulator, TSR-2 etc) - so here's what I ended up with.....

As you can see, so far so good - the 2 bullets were just a temporary lash-up (I NEVER use "choc blocks" for anything permanent!) - they are in 30% Tail mode (Mode 3) and will be more than bright enough for night-time use - daylight mode, not sure, will have to wait until bike is out of the garage and into full daylight.

In Brake mode I got this result..... (there was a video light illuminating the scene but the camera has stopped down to try and capture the bullets - bright!)

Just for clarity I took one more shot of the wiring / connector arrangement against a plain background....

Moving up to the front end, at the end of my new 4 way loom, under the L/H air duct panel I have installed.............

I experimented for some time where to put the big green TSR-2!  It IS bright and modulated so I did not want to be able to look directly into it as my eyes are very sensitive to "flicker" (and NO, that's NOT a new "smutty" channel!!)

I decided the best compromise (probably until I road test it!) was sideways on at the base of the instrument pod - it reflects nicely from the ignition keys and handlebar bolts etc.  - we'll see.

Luckily there is a nice little gap just at the side of the instrument support legs - just enough to feed the 3 cables through - they are then run under the top edge of the cowl back to the connections in the air duct void - suitably held out of the way of the forks with cable ties (to OEM loom etc.)

So, that's it for this part - all that's left to do now is to fabricate some small brackets for the bullets and plug them in - sounds simple enough!  Might get around to that tomorrow.

To be continued......

Fluke

Coming along great, and extremely neat work on the wiring!, thanks for all the photos!

Regards

woodbar

OK - here we go, Part 3 - the end is in sight.  It's taken me longer than I thought but never mind - I like to check and double check as I go - I hate that "Dughhhhhhh should have thought of that before" moment!

Rear brackets made, Red LEDs fitted and mounted to rear carrier supports - I think they will be OK there but I have not cut the cables to the LEDs (the excess is folded up in the white spiral wrap) just in case I want to move them to the other mounting bolts on the rack.  I also wanted to sleeve the cables but did not have anything suitable to hand so this will be tidied up and protected with sleeving when I can get some.

SO not quite a finished job yet, but nearly!

The main criteria is make sure nothing comes into contact with the seat hinges or the seat stay rod - hence the yellow crimp terminal used as a cable tie-down point - to keep the cable clear of the end of the stay rod / spring / washer when it folds down.

I used the helmet loop on the right as a clamping point (never use it for the helmet) and the bodywork is cut down here for the helmet strap - so the cable runs in nicely although it could rub against the metal bracket, hence the extra bit of spiral wrap etc.   On the left I drilled a small hole in the "upstand" of the side panel (the bit that goes up under the side of the seat).  When I am happy with the position of the lights and have the relevant size sleeving these final connections will get neatened up.

All the multi-plugs and the BMLED unit are secured in the middle of the tail section opening, again, to keep them well clear of the seat hinge etc.

The brackets.....

..... were fabricated from some 20mm x 2mm flat alli bar and painted graphite grey.

I think I like the location - they are quite discrete and out of the way.....  (if you can ignore all the junk in the garage!)

.... NICE!   This is in 30% power, Tail mode and I would say they are plenty bright enough - I especially like the way they reflect from the Silver body panels etc.  Have not got a shot of them all in Brake mode yet - needs another pair of hands - I will do that for the final part.

I've really been scratching my head trying to find somewhere to fit the front LEDs.  I tried the fake air intakes - they would not fit.  Tried the sides of the fake tank - wrong angles, stippled finish (prob won't stick) and might have got glare from them at night.

In the end I have made another pair of brackets (slightly angled) and have screwed them under the edges of the "beak".  A bit closer to the headlight than I wanted but I should not get any glare and the wiring run is pretty easy!

Like this............

... just a test fitting before I paint them - they are drying as I type this.

Strangely enough when they are not powered the Red LEDs are bright white and the White LEDs are yellow?

Any way, as long as the paint hardens off, I should get this finished tomorrow and will post the final pics of the finished front end and the rear view with brakes on, fingers crossed!

Fluke

Many thanks for the update, coming along nicely....  Great little brackets you made!

Regards

woodbar

OK, this is the final part of my install - been a bit of a delay due to other commitments and fitting some AME Chicane heated grips (twice - first set were faulty!).

All very time consuming but no worries as I am retired so I take it slow - it avoids silly mistakes (I Hope)

Finished the brackets for the front bullets, sleeved the wires and fitted to bike -

(Sorry, I can't seem to get the focus/lighting right on this last batch of photos)

I moved the rear bullets to the rearmost mounting bolts for the rear rack and tidied up the connections with some braided expandable sleeving and self adhesive clips - (nice touch the Bullets have black sticky pads - my black adhesive clips have white!  Get the permanent marker out!))

The front loom/connections/PodModulator are all tucked away inside the left hand "air duct" and then covered with a bit of sleeving just to be on the safe side - (Multi-plugs - Red-TSR-2, White-PodMod input, Blue-PodMod output, Green-Spare switched & ground(Tail light)

Then, check what it looks like from the front -

(before I fitted the cable clips to the brackets)

It's the camera making them look blue - they are bright white to the eye.

So, that's it - very pleased with the results even though it was more time consuming AND expensive to what I originally thought!

The only things I need to tidy up is to move the TSR-2 to a different position as it is not quite "glaring" enough at the moment (I was being a bit over cautious) and I MAY fit a defeat switch for the front modulator for "night mode" - not sure yet.

Oh, and fit some hand guards and some.................. I MUST STOP!

The only thing I would advise caution on - the bullets have figure of 8 twin cable with the positive marked by a white stripe - on the TSR-2 the same cable is used BUT the white stripe denotes GROUND.  In fact I am a little confused and disappointed at the pre-wired cables supplied - the TSR-2 has one figure of 8 "thickwall" (with opposite polarity as above) and one tiny "thinwall" cable?  The PodModulator has 2 tiny "thinwall" cables for input and the "thickwall" figure of 8 for output - at least this is the same polarity as the bullets this time!  Dare I say it smacks of "what have we got to wire those with - Oh, use a bit of that" rather than being specified?

May I suggest that it would be a useful update, for both quality and ease of use, to use single "thinwall" cables with suitable sleeving around the group (embedded in the potting) during manufacture, for the modules and especially for the bullets?

Anyway, as a final comment I can say that the LED brake light modulator is quite satisfactory put into service driving a pair of red bullets only in "dual mode" 3 - a query I raised on another section of the forum.

Keep the shiny side up!

Fluke

Hi

Thanks for the update, photos and feedback, way beyond the call of duty.

I'll get some of the photos up on Facebook also if ok.

Regards

woodbar

Hi,

You're welcome - I hope it's of use to someone else - even if it's what not to do!

Yes I am quite happy for you to post the photos elsewhere.

Regards

zeuter

Hi Woodbar,

Just want to compliment you on a "Superb" installation, very tidy job.

I also just wanted to mention why the cables from our TSR-2 are the way they are.  As you are aware, the twin figure 8 cable goes to one side of the bike and the single black cable to the other side.  If we had used the White stripe as positive, it could have led to confusion, ie, black positive on one side and black negative on the other!! So it was thought best to have it the way it is, as the TSR-2 does not interface to any other device we produce. 

Following your comments though,  I'm now not so sure and will give some thought to it before the next production run.

In all our other products where the figure 8 cable is used, white stripe is positive and white stripe always goes to white stripe.

Best regards and keep that great bike shiny side up!

John Hayes
www.smidsy.biz

woodbar

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

I realised the need to differentiate, as all 3 cables are black and this was really my point.  From a personal and technical viewpoint I would have preferred to find 3 wires of the same guage  but differing colours covered in a suitable sleeve sealed into the unit. I note that the other 2 products concerned with turn signals use "Yellow" for the wiring to the indicators.

You could apply the same process to the bullets and other "in house" designs/manufactured modules etc. - so that customers installing multiple products would know that the Yellow on all products, for example, is turn signal output?

If you standardised say:-

Red  = 12v
Black = 0v
Blue = Left turn
Yellow = Right Turn
Orange = Tail light feed
Pink = Stop light feed
Green = Tail light output
Mauve = Stop light output ...........  etc.

Then the various units would have some commonality both in function and appearance and the documentation would be easier although I realise that could be a problem now in changing any existing production units.

Sorry, I don't intend this to be impertinent or a "granny & eggs" post, just airing my thoughts really!

Anyway, thanks for the comments on the install, it did take me quite a while but I am very pleased with it.

Best regards,

Nigel

Fluke

Quote from: woodbar on October 13, 2013, 10:58:57 AM
Hi,

You're welcome - I hope it's of use to someone else - even if it's what not to do!

Yes I am quite happy for you to post the photos elsewhere.

Regards

Many thanks :)

infare

Just joined and the first post i look at is yours because we have the same bike and the same aim to stay safe. I just fitted an led kit to my Givi top box, what a pain never realized the pink wire was the bloody live one lol. After looking at your neat work i am going to do it all over again properly this time as i add the bullet kit. You have done a fantastic job many thanks.

David

woodbar

Hi David,

Yes, I hate wiring extras on motorbikes as most of it is on show so I always strive for neatness and try and get it to blend in!

Thanks for the comments by the way - I sometimes regret not going with 3rd party luggage for mine but the dealer was doing a very tempting deal at the time with the Honda 45litre top box and the 2 side cases as well as the centre stand and the "Touring" screen (which is rubbish AFAIAC) all for less than I would have paid for just the Givi luggage - the downside is the OEM side cases are a funny shape and are obviously not specific to this bike (as I was told) because they have large swooped  indents at the back to allow for twin high level exhausts I presume - the end result is the capacity is a bit meagre and they could easily have been much higher capacity without increasing the overall width.

Anyway, best of luck with your install - post some pictures etc. on here.

If I can help with any info or anything just give me a shout.

Regards,  Nigel

edit:  I forgot to ask - are you on the NC700.co.uk forum?