News:

14/04/2022 - Summer is almost here!

Main Menu

Resolved: Cree LED wiring question

Started by kwikasfuki, December 14, 2011, 10:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwikasfuki

I'd like to control when the lights are switched on and off.

Does this mean I just need to put a switch between the controller and the red wire?

The way I see it:

1. Put a switch between the controller and red wire
2. Wire the brown and blue to switched positive feed

Also, I want the switch to also be able to dim the lights (essentially a three way switch). Which switch circuit do I require? (SPDT, DPDT etc)

Thanks

Fluke

Hi

That's right.... red and black wires run straight to battery and you interupt the red wire with a switch.

The brown and blue wires are left disconnected.

To have a option to dim the lights run a feed from your sidelight / headlight circuit via a SPST switch to the white wire...  as soon as you make the white wire live the lights dim to 50%

I don't think you could do both on one switch as the dimming function needs to be fed from your headlight / sidelight circuit. The reason for this is the dimming feed must be cut first (when you turn off ignition / switch off bike) to allow the control box to initiate the 20sec shut down of the lights.

There may be other ways to wire the lights that would also work which may allow for a single switch, but there are so many combinations they are untested, and some combinations will not work, though no damage will occur if trying different methods.

Hope the above helps a little.

Regards

kwikasfuki

Thanks for the response Fluke.

To be honest, I don't trust the controller to dim the lights after 20 secs. One day it goes faulty and I return to a bike with a dead battery  :'(

I currently I have fuzeblock fitted to the bike. It's wired directly to the battery and provides switched power or permanent power to devices connected to it.

So what I'm going try is:

1. Connect the controller wires to the fuzeblock switched power as well as the brown and blue wires. This should mean that when the bike is switched on, the Cree LEDs come on at that point
2. Add a three way switch so in position one the full Cree are on, and in position three, an additional signal is sent to the white wire from the switched ignition accessory lead (or fuzeblock)
3. Connect the red wire to a three way switch. When in position one (on), the full Cree lights are on, with no voltage going to the white wire
4. Connect the white to the three way switch. When in position three (on), a feed is sent to the white wire. The source of this feed is switched power provided by the fuzeblock. As the Cree lights will be switched off when the bike ignition is switched off, the dimmer affecting the auto off function doesn't come into play

At least I hope the theory is correct

Paul_Sk

Hi kwikasfuki

At one point (see my recent post) I made the mistake of thinking that applying 12V to the blue and brown wires would cure my own problem (faulty controller box) and force the lights on regardless of the engine running or not running. What I found was that instead this seems to toggle the state of the lights (so you could for example wire them (illegally as it turns out) to flash in sympathy with your indicators). So I think your lights would indeed come on when you switch the bike on but would switch off again as you start the engine. If you were to then kill the engine with the kill switch (rather than switch off the bike) the lights would then come on again after the 20 or so seconds.

Hope that helps a little.

Paul

Fluke

Quote from: kwikasfuki on December 15, 2011, 02:40:44 PM
Thanks for the response Fluke.

To be honest, I don't trust the controller to dim the lights after 20 secs. One day it goes faulty and I return to a bike with a dead battery  :'(

I currently I have fuzeblock fitted to the bike. It's wired directly to the battery and provides switched power or permanent power to devices connected to it.

So what I'm going try is:

1. Connect the controller wires to the fuzeblock switched power as well as the brown and blue wires. This should mean that when the bike is switched on, the Cree LEDs come on at that point
2. Add a three way switch so in position one the full Cree are on, and in position three, an additional signal is sent to the white wire from the switched ignition accessory lead (or fuzeblock)
3. Connect the red wire to a three way switch. When in position one (on), the full Cree lights are on, with no voltage going to the white wire
4. Connect the white to the three way switch. When in position three (on), a feed is sent to the white wire. The source of this feed is switched power provided by the fuzeblock. As the Cree lights will be switched off when the bike ignition is switched off, the dimmer affecting the auto off function doesn't come into play

At least I hope the theory is correct

Hi

That sounds like a great way of fitting them, and gives you peace of mind. Keep us posted how you get on.

Regards

kwikasfuki

I started this thread way back in Dec and have only got around to installing it this weekend. I had to come back and have a quick read of what was said!

kwikasfuki

Fluke

Looks great...  No-one should ever miss you now!  ;D

kwikasfuki

Damn right!  ;D

Thinking of getting two more bullets to put below the blue LEDs. Only thing I don't like about the bullets is how the wire is routed from the underside. Best flexibility would be to have the wire coming our as the tail. I didn't bother drilling a hole - use got some more 3m tape and built up over the wire. Seems to work fine.

Did the rear today and that works fine as well.

Fluke

Thanks for the feedback on fixing, it is something we are looking at.

If you do buy any more let me know first and I can work you out a special price.

Regards

kwikasfuki

Fluke

It's a lovely looking bike... you do many miles on her ?

kwikasfuki

It's a kawasaki 1400 GTR. I do about 80 miles a day, and pretty much ride it all year round.

http://www.gtr1400.co.uk is the UK owners site

Fluke

80 a day!, that's pretty good going. I'm inbetween bikes at the moment but a tourer is something I'm thinking about though I only commute around half of that.

I'll check them out :)

Regards

Ch00

Dragging up an old thread here!!

Would the op be able to draw a basic circuit diagram for there set up. I am looking to do the same with my crees.

Cheers