Resolved: BMW R1200S Bullets very dim - CANBUS limiting current ?

Started by uhtmilk, March 31, 2011, 09:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uhtmilk

I did such a wonderfully neat job wiring my 2 bullets to a spare 2 wire plug (GPS??) I found on the right hand side of my BMW R1200S - just above the air intake tube. 
The bullets work but only just - they are very dim.
Plan B is to find an alternative source of power near the headlight(s).
Any idea what this "accessory" plug is used for ? And could the CANBUS be limiting the voltage and/or current from this plug to the bullets?
Thanks   

Fluke

Hi

Sorry to hear you're having trouble

I don't think it's the CANBUS causing it as CANBUS is for monitoring current and comms between devices and not current control

One way to prove it would be to just hold one of the bullets power onto the battery and see how the light level is then...

Hope the above is easy to do without destroying your wiring job

Regards

RCE

Quote from: uhtmilk on March 31, 2011, 09:47:16 AM
I did such a wonderfully neat job wiring my 2 bullets to a spare 2 wire plug (GPS??) I found on the right hand side of my BMW R1200S - just above the air intake tube. 
The bullets work but only just - they are very dim.
Plan B is to find an alternative source of power near the headlight(s).
Any idea what this "accessory" plug is used for ? And could the CANBUS be limiting the voltage and/or current from this plug to the bullets?
Thanks

Are you sure you connected to the correct two connections as it is a 3 pole plug (one pole is for the speed pulse for a GPS)

(1) Brown    = ground
(2) Blue/Green = Speed Pulse
(3) Red/White = 12V

The canbus will be happy with a small load such as LED lights so guessing it just needs wiring right.

uhtmilk

This particular plug has only 2 wires - one of which is the blue/green +ve.
I was possibly wrong in suggesting that this is a GPS plug.
I'll take a photo tonight but it's located under the fairing on the right hand side - just above the air snorkel screw.
I'll disconnect from the "GPS plug" and tap into the parking light supply.
Hopefully the extra 60mA won't interfere with the CANBUS. 

uhtmilk

Problem solved.
I undid the wiring to the 2 pin plug and reconnected to my parking lamp circuit.
It now works as intended.
Thanks for your feedback.
I still don't know what the plug was for - pic attached.
And a final pic of the final installation - very clean and effective.

Fluke

Glad you got it sorted, my knowledge of CANBUS wiring is quite low.

Thanks for the help RCE!!, well spotted

RCE

Sounds like that plug is either for an optional sensor or a optional switch, possibly air temperature sensor ?

You probably have a 3 pin plug in there somewhere which is the GPS plug.

Canbus should be fine with an extra 60mA.

You could try disconnecting the side light bulb, if you don't get a blown lamp warning then get a BikeVis side light LED to replace the bulb it will match your bullets colour and reduce the circuit current which is good if using parking lights ;)

If you got a blown bulb warning you could get a Canbus LED but these just have a resistor to add load so take same current as a normal bulb.

uhtmilk

I disconnected the existing sidelight (simply by removing the globe) which did not trigger a CANBUS error message so I'll try your idea of a BikeVis running light as a replacement.
My local dealer in Auckland (FastBikeGearNZ) gives good service and may have some in stock.
Thanks again   

Fluke

Quote from: RCE on April 01, 2011, 03:56:33 PM
Sounds like that plug is either for an optional sensor or a optional switch, possibly air temperature sensor ?

You probably have a 3 pin plug in there somewhere which is the GPS plug.

Canbus should be fine with an extra 60mA.

You could try disconnecting the side light bulb, if you don't get a blown lamp warning then get a BikeVis side light LED to replace the bulb it will match your bullets colour and reduce the circuit current which is good if using parking lights ;)

If you got a blown bulb warning you could get a Canbus LED but these just have a resistor to add load so take same current as a normal bulb.

;D ....I think we need to employ you as resident electrical guru :)