Powering red light pods on ABS fitted bike

Started by richardkhill, September 04, 2013, 11:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardkhill

A bike forum that I frequent has recently been discussing the dangers of splicing into the brake light feed on a ABS fitted bike. No specific reasons were given, but hinted at the possibility of damaging the ABS system.

Whilst I can understand the dangers of splicing directly into the ABS module feed, I don't quite understand why splicing into the brake light feed would be problematic? :o

Is this something that you've heard of previously and can offer some advice? Or do you sense a strong smell of farmyard related aromas here? ;D

I'm hoping to install two pairs of red pods with tail/brake converters onto my NT700ABS this weekend.

Yours Curiously
Richard

Fluke

Hi Richard

As long as your wiring is sound and good I can't see why it would be a problem. The Bullets are entirely passive in design and contain no active electronics that could create electrical noise and possibly interfere with any ABS. They also consume next to nothing in power. (the tail converters are also passive)

I can understand concern if a high powered electrically noisy active driven light was being used so close to the ABS, but this doesn't apply with our tiny Bullet lights.

I hope this puts your mind at ease. The forum members who alerted you to this could be right in some ways, but not when applied to our little Bullet lights. Always best to check though.

Kind Regards

woodbar

Hi,

Just noticed this post - got me a little bit concerned as I am just fitting red bullets powered by the Brake Light strobe unit to my NC700X-DCT (with ABS) so I hope the rumours are untrue!

Did you actually fit the kit to your NT Richard - if so, was it all successful?

I note the comment regarding the bullets being "passive" but Richard was going to fit them using a Tail/Brake unit (and me, using the BMLED) and these can not be "passive" as they switch and/or control the output voltage/current using semi-conductors?

The bikes brake light wiring will be "seeing" the electronic module itself rather than the bullets connected to the load side so there is a possibility of electrical noise from these modules appearing at the ABS unit.

Fluke

Hi

Like you say the Red Bullets are passive, as is the Tail / Brake unit.

I could understand a very large switched load creating noise issues, but with such small load (our Red Bullets) and the carefully designed LED Modulator the input wires should not interfere with the ABS output. I've never heard of any cases of this.

Regards

woodbar

Hi,

Thanks for that - alleviates my concerns a bit then.

I assume the Brake/Tail unit is purely resistive then, although it should have a blocking diode to stop feedback from the brake line into the tail light circuit? 

If it does, and depending on your viewpoint, a diode IS an active component as it is a semiconductor and reacts in different ways to any applied voltage - a minimum  voltage, of the correct polarity, to conduct OR the reverse of this polarity to block - it is therefore (re)active to applied voltage?

Please don't think I am being argumentative - just "pondering" aloud really.

Anyway, hopefully find out in the next day or so - keeping my fingers crossed I don't see the ABS or FI light come on when they should not!

Regards

Fluke

Hi

Got it in one, just simple resistors / diode in a handy sealed unit.

You are entirely correct that you should class a diode as active being a semi conductor, but for the sake of easy diagnosis and discussion of potential problems I try to refer to them as passive when used in a simple resistor / diode circuit, in that they will not generate any noise as no high speed switching / modulation etc etc is taking place. (all of our 'active' units with 'brains' use micro controllers)

I think you will be fine, but any concerns just yell, we are always here to help.

Regards

woodbar

Hi,

It's a shame the OP hasn't come back to tell us how he got on?

Mines nearly done now - just waiting for some paint to dry on the brackets - should be the "grand opening" tomorrow!

Regards

richardkhill

Apologies all round; I'm afraid I'd forgotten about this post.

I went ahead and fitted two pairs of red bullets & tail-brake convertors to my ABS Deauville. I've not had a single problem with the ABS.

You can find pictures of the end result in the forum gallery.

I hope my delay in responding didn't deter woodbar from fitting his bullets & BMLED?

Regards
Richard

Fluke

Thanks Richard, glad all worked out well... looks great btw :)

Regards