News:

14/04/2022 - Summer is almost here!

Main Menu

Resolved: PodMod+Brake/Tail Converter?

Started by Colin, December 28, 2011, 12:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin

Hi, I have just fitted my Honda Blackbird with a pair of bullets and a podmod on the front which I am really happy with. For anyone who has a blackbird, they look really good placed on the inside of the side front fairing shining out through the two little air scoops.
I have also just fitted a pair of red bullets on the rear with a brake/tail converter which also look good and work well but my question is, can I fit a podmod to the rear bullets in conjunction with the brake/tail converter?
I personally can't see any reason why not but would appreciate any advice. The only problem I can envisage is that the pod mod takes a few seconds to power up so the modulation wouldn't start instantly the brake is applied (but it might if the lights are already on?).
If anyone has already done this or has tried?
Thanks

zeuter

Hi Colin,

Yes it should work if wired as follows.  Be careful though as the PodMod switches the negative side to the Bullets, the ONLY wire connected to GROUND must be the GREY wire on the PodMod.

Tail Light feed to RED wire on PodMod

Ground to GREY wire on Podmod

Brake feed to YELLOW wire on Brake/Tail converter

Black/White from PodMod connect to RED wire on Brake/Tail converter

Black wire from PodMod to Black Input wire on Brake/Tail Converter

Black/White wire from Brake/Tail Converter to Black/White wires on Bullets

Black Output wire from Tail/Brake converter to Black wires on Bullets

Hope this helps, 

Regards John
www.smidsy.biz

Colin

Hi John, Thanks for your quick reply.
I have printed out our wiring instructions and will do as you suggest once I have ordered another podmod.
Many Thanks for your help.
Regards
Colin.

zeuter

You're welcome Colin.

I've never heard of a PodMod on the rear before, let us know how it goes.  I hope plod doesn't pay too much attention though! 

Colin

Hi John,
Just fitted it according to your wiring instructions and works fine. Modulates when lights are on and when brake is applied. When lights are off (which is never when I am riding) the brake light works without modulating and is quite dim in comparison to when the lights are on. None of that matters though because, as I said, I never ride without the lights on anyway and kind of defeats the purpose of fitting them.
So all in all I am very pleased with how they have worked out. The modulation is so fast that it just makes the rear lights twinkle so I can't imagine getting pulled over for it. I have seen other bikes where the whole rear light modulates and in fact you can buy them on ebay etc. My normal rear light is non modulated, so I am hoping I will be ok. I will let you know if I have any problems.
On another note I have looked on the Gallery and can't find any other Blackbird with them fitted in the same location as mine. I think they are fitted in the perfect place and look really good. Should I put a couple of pictures up in case anyone else is thinking of fitting them to give them some ideas? I know the Blackbird is getting on a bit now but there are still quite a few about.
Thanks for your help
Colin

Fluke

Hi Colin

Glad you got it all hooked up, sounds great.... and thanks John for the instructions.

Would be interested to see where you fitted them, i can post up for you if you want, just email a few snaps to sales@bikevis.com (or you can attach the photos to a post you make)

Regards

Colin

Hi Dan,
I will take a few snaps tomorrow and attach them to an email to you, that way if you don't think they are worth putting in the gallery then you can just bin them. Thanks for the very fast delivery!
Regards
Colin.

zeuter

Hi Colin,

Glad all is sorted.  You had me a bit confused for a few moments with the dim bullets when the lights are off.  As I said in a previous post, the PodMod switches the Ground side of the Bullets.  It incorporates a 20K resistor across the output to protect the unit from static discharges during storage, transport and fitting.  When you apply the brakes, the Bullets are getting a full 12 volts on the positive legs and the negative legs are only getting Ground potential via the 20K resistor in the PodMod.  I'm surprised they light at all.

As far as I know, this is the first time anyone has fitted a PodMod and Brake/Tail Converter together and I must admit I had never considered the possibility.  Maybe a new product idea!  As long as you are happy though.

Best regards,
John
www.smidsy.biz

mikepenton

having bought & installed my front bullets with podmod and red bullets with tail/brake converter on my BMW F650 Strada a few months ago, this weekend i finally got around to wiring the podmod at the front to the tail/brake converter at the rear.
As this was my first stab at any sort of motorcycle electrics the inevitable happened and the bullets no longer flicker! the tail/brake bullets work and when the wires to the red bullets & converter are disconnected (just behind the headlight fairing) the front bullets still flicker so i've not broken anything (yet)...
is the two metres of cabling from the front to the back too long? is there anything else I can consider before buying a second podmod? :) 
thanks very much in advance, they're great products and I'm very pleased with them.

Fluke

Hi and welcome

I don't think it's the cable run. The likely cause is the front White Bullets wires must only connect to the PodMod output wires and nothing else. The reason for this is the PodMod uses a modulating ground wire (black)

The above if wired incorrectly would result in the PodMod modulating output being grounded and the 'flicker' stopping.

Let me know if the above works for you.

mikepenton

Thanks for that, I've just had a breakthrough: I read the instructions as the ground on the tail/brake converter had to be connected to the ground on the podmod: i've just disconnected it and all lights flicker. Just one question though... Is it safe to run without the ground on the converter connected to anything??
Thanks again
Mike

Fluke

Hi Mike

That's great glad you got it sorted.

No that's fine running without the ground, no problem at all.

Regards

mikepenton

All good, thanks for your help, now just need to sort out the new carb problems... and regulator/rectifier...  :D

Fluke

Ouch, good like Mike... last time I messed with carbs was a Puch Maxi moped with pedals, you could practically strip engine in 10mins  ;D