Cree Manual On-Off

Started by Cook1e, October 30, 2012, 01:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cook1e

Hi Fluke,
I bought a pair of Cree DRLs recently and have just fitted them. They're fine, but I can't make them do what I want, which is come on with the sidelights.

If I connect red (power) to the brown and blue control wires and then all 3 to the sidelight, they flicker when I switch the sidelights on, but do not stay lit.

If I connect red (power) to the battery and the brown/blue control wires to the sidelight, they do come on with the sidelight, but also when I start the engine, which I don't want them to do.

Are you able to advise?

Cheers,

Ian Cook

Fluke

Hi Ian

Sorry you are having trouble.

The very best way to wire them is to just connect red and black direct to your battery terminals. Leave all other wires disconnected.

The control box / brain will then sense engine start and switch them on. When the engine turns off the battery voltage will drop over a few seconds and the lights will turn off.

There is no way to stop them coming on with the engine that is 100% reliable. (Without fitting a switch in the red wire so you can override)

Let me know your thoughts.....   

Regards

Cook1e

Hi Fluke,
Thanks for prompt reply. I have them wired "the very best way" at the moment, but I'm going to try wiring positive to the sidelight. I can put up with them coming on with the engine, but I need a positive switch-off, as I waited over 3 minutes when I put the bike in the garage last night and they didn't switch off until I pulled the fuse.

I wouldn't say I'm having trouble, they're good lights. Just the controller's over-complex!

Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

Ian

Fluke

Hi

It sounds like your battery is extremely slow to drop in voltage after engine off (not a bad thing).  Maybe the safest option is a switch if you can't get any result with other methods

Keep me posted

Regards

Cook1e

Hi Fluke,
Sorted.

Red to sidelight, black to -ve battery, nothing else connected.

Lights come on with sidelight if engine is running, or come on when engine starts if sidelights are on. They go off with ignition or sidelight switch.

That'll do me.

Cheers,
Ian

Fluke

Hi Ian

That's fantastic, I must admit I've never tried to wire like that and looks like you have found the solution.

Glad you are all up and running and thanks for your patience.

If you ever need anything in the future please just yell  :)

Regards