Moto Guzzi Stelvio Installation

Started by Fluke, October 20, 2014, 04:49:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fluke

Vincent sent this comprehensive guide showing the installation process he used fitting our red Bullet lights to his Moto Guzzi Stelvio. Thanks for taking the time, fantastic results!

Parts

Existing holes in Givi frame

Remove light cluster

Cable route

Left bracket

Rear of tool box

Right bracket

Remove auxiliary power adapter and ease the cable loom from behind the tool box tray

Connecting cables to brake light converter

It works!

Finished

Without brakes

With brakes

Installing Red Bullets & Brake Light Converter on a Moto Guzzi Stelvio

Put the bike on the center stand then make a brew and sit behind it.  At this point do not drink any alcoholic beverages!  Take your time. Better to invest in time at the very beginning and getting it right than having to take it all apart later!  Choose where you want to put the Bullets. Think about accessibility and threading through of cables, they need to be out of the way of weather, heat & pillions fingers!

Remember, the Bullets must shine 100% to the rear of the bike horizontally, not at any angles to the side or vertically.  Incorrect positioning of lights could result in an MOT failure.

Do not, under any circumstances, stick the Bullets in place, until you have completed everything else!
Tape the Bullets into position then begin the rest.

Remove seat. Remove the rear light cluster with number plate and tie it up out of the way with some wire.

I chose to have the bullets on the Givi frame, there were pre-drilled holes in the right places.  I made small brackets out of Stainless steel.  If you do not have a Givi frame you could make a bracket and attach it to the hand rail. The Givi frame is made of mild steel, so drilling holes to suit is not a problem.  A good trick here is to put some masking tape onto the frame and mark the spot with a pencil.  Measure 3 times before drilling!
Center punch to ensure that the drill bit does not slip.

The wires can be threaded through to the back of the tool kit tray.

Loosen the screws of the auxiliary power adapter and lift it out of the way.

Drill a 15mm Ø hole in the back of the tool tray for a rubber grommet and cables.

I threaded the cables through a heat shrink tube. Using a heat gun shrink the tubes very carefully. This is for added protection from the elements. Now thread the cables along the chosen route.

You can see the cable route I used in the photos.

Using a wide and blunt tool, carefully bend the right wall of the tool tray inwards and very gently lift out the cable loom from behind it.

Drill a further 10mm Ø hole to the right of where the auxiliary power adapter sits. Thread the Bullet cables or from the brake light converter through. At this point I also used a heat shrink tube to protect the cables from chaffing.

Finding the right cables bike side:  You will have to unwrap the insulation tape and free the cables, it is easier to find the correct cables using a non-contact cable tester and switching the lights on and off, this takes just a couple of minutes. I extended the Black Ground cable and connected directly to the battery.
Splice the Bullet cables to the wiring loom of the bike together.

I used extra spade connectors in the tool tray, just in case a Bullet needs to be exchanged at a later date; this saves a lot of bovver later! Test the lights. If it all works, double check the route of the cables, secure in position.

Insulate the wiring loom then very carefully push the loom down the side of the tool tray. Secure the Brake light converter with some tape. Re-install the auxiliary power adapter.           

Re-install the rear light cluster/number plate and seat. De-grease the area and stick the Bullets in place.                                                       Stand back and admire the results, now you can have a beer!