News:

14/04/2022 - Summer is almost here!

Main Menu

European headlight units (thunderace)

Started by markgrinyer, October 25, 2015, 04:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markgrinyer

Hi Fluke

Is there any difference between UK (left hand drive) and european (right hand drive) headlight units.

I have just been out to my bike as it has been bugging me.

I currently have the H7 bulb on the near side providing dipped beam, and H4 on the offside providing main beam only. I was under the belief H4 bulbs provide both dipped and main beam and so thought it would have been on the near side.

I also looked at just switching the wiring over so H4 would get the electical commands for both dipped and main beam but the wiring is too short. Do you think I have a RH/D headlight unit?

Could make the fitting of the HIDs even more problematic

But at least your T501 replacement LED looks smart lol

Many thanks
Mark

markgrinyer

Just tried fitting them, not happy with it so saving them for the HB4 projector conversions

Fluke

Hi Mark

Sorry it didn't work.

On some machines H4 dual filament bulbs are used for only either high or low. It always seems a crazy way of working things though.

There may be differences in the design of the reflector depending on the designed beam type required. Though this is usually only the case if a headlight unit is dedicated to a certain beam type.

I think you are going the right route with projectors.. Once carefully aligned should be great. Projectors give much tighter control over pattern.

Regards

markgrinyer

Hi fluke. Just been to the garage and they said pretty much that, so they are fitting the HIDs for me whilst they fit heated grips and hard wire a camera to the front of the bike.

It did concern me a lot as when I connected the H4 ballast and bulb to the H7 loom both dipped and main filiments lit up as I would have expected.

The projector set up I'm looking at is £460, dual Bixeon 4300K HIDs with angel eyes and reflectors painted black. Trying to mimic this

With your T501 acting as the center light

Fluke

Sounds like a plan.....  This kind of conversion is never going to be cheap though :(

markgrinyer

To me its my spell of being a boy racer, and pimping up the vehicle for no real reason lol. Quite strange having a bike I'm proud of lol. Normally they are just workhorses to me

Going to this company http://www.headlightretrofits.org.uk/home/4580609108, just look at the spread of light from their Biexeon conversions on their home page. Two of those working off a relay to the current H7 feed (as it provides instructions for both dipped and main as I found out when I experimented when switching the wires over with the H4 HID unit).

Two of those on a bike will look incredible, and very useful when "making progress".

Just a shame I can't get blue lights fitted for the blood bikes (as its main use is a private vehicle and secondary as a blood bike)

Fluke

:D :D ...I think we all have a bit of that in us :)

Certainly looks good....  keep us posted how you get on