Cree LED Ducati ST2 1999

Started by paulcocteau, October 22, 2010, 09:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulcocteau

Bullets fitted underneath wing mirrors after tapping into sidelight feed.
I needed to use Araldite to secure the bullets as the standard sticky mountings
didn't seem to hold properly.

Bullets and Cree running lights fitted to lower forks. The running lights are set to come on with main beam.

Bullets and side light at dusk. Running lights off.

Running lights, bullets and high beam.

I am astonished at the power of the running lights, they show up just how crap the stock headlight is on these bikes.
I'm certain these will get me noticed and give a good spread of light on unlit roads.
I have a feeling a HID kit will be added soon.

Fluke

Hi Paul

Thanks for sharing the photos.

It's strange the Bullets didn't stick, the 3M tape is super stong... maybe the surface you mounted on was one of the few that seem resistant to a good bond.

I love the placement of the Cree lights, but I would change one thing. One of the ideas of the Cree lights is to use them as daytime running so oncoming traffic can see you coming. When you use your high beam generally nothing is approaching so you lose this aspect....though you still gain abit of forward vision in close in to the bike at night.  I would rewire them maybe to your low beam, this way they are always on and doing the job of getting you seen.

I had a total failiure of my headlights in the dark on a B road yesterday, and if it wasn't for the Cree DRLs still running I would of been in major trouble. I had them wired to my sidelights, which tend to be on a different circuit...  so acted as a backup lighting system.

Great job though, and glad you are pleased with the results. One cheaper way to get the headlight up to standard would be to source some osram nightbreaker bulbs, these produce a much whiter light and are around 150% the output of a normal halogen.

Regards

paulcocteau

Hi there

Yes they are wired to the main beam not the high, I just had the high beam on in the photo.

i'm quite worried about changing the wattage of the main beam as the ST's have a headlamp which is notorius for melting both the reflector and the wiring if you put anything higher in them.

I was considering a HID conversion as this increases the light without adding any extra heat or strain on the wiring I believe.

Cheers

Paul