Resolved: Cree2 Comes on With Optimate Battery Charger

Started by strum, July 29, 2012, 02:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strum

The lights come on when I connect my Optimate 4.  I guess it's mistaking the charger's input as the bike starting.  Is this normal?

I have left it connected for an hour to see if the lights go off after the Optimate drops to a maintenance charge level but it must be detecting the lights as a drain and keeps at start-up charge levels, so the lights stay on and the charger reports an error.

If this is normal let me know and I'll stick either a switch or a relay into the loop.

So, my second question is, do I need the control box at all if I have an inline switch and or a relay?  I don't really trust these things and would be happier without it.

Fluke

Hi

This is a known issue when using a trickle charger. The increase in voltage can fool the auto switch on circuit that the bike has started.

Like you say the way around this is to fit a isolater switch in the red feed wire for charging use.

You always need the control box as this provides the constant current drive circuits that power the led pods... Without it the pods would not function.

Hope the above is not going to cause too many problems for you

Regards

strum

Quote from: Fluke on July 29, 2012, 07:16:36 PM...You always need the control box as this provides the constant current drive circuits that power the led pods... Without it the pods would not function....

I can live with it as I'm going to fit a relay and connect it to a switched circuit, so the charging won't affect it.

I may replace the controller with a simpler LED driver at a later date.

NB - The lights are brilliantly bright.

Fluke

That's great, if you do source a 3rd party driver just be careful to match specs exactly with existing to prevent any LED emitter damage.

strum

Do you know what the Wattage and mA requirments would be?  I assume 12v DC input is a given.

I notice your website says:  0.74A / 740mA @ 14.5V. 
I have found one at Maplins that says:   3-9W and 700mA at 12V

Would that do?

Fluke

Hi

I don't have the exact specs to hand but could investgate it for you. The problem I think you will have is you must provide exactly the correct voltage and constant drive current and be rated high enough to drive 2 arrays of 4 LEDs. Most off the shelf circuits won't let you match these factors without a lot of electronics tinkering.

Let me know what you think

Regards

strum

That's fine.

What I'm talking about is a modification, not  a problem with the lights.  I'll do some poking around electronics forums.

If you do find out then do post it up, otherwise thanks - they work great.

The relay will be in next week and the battery is fine for now anyway.

Fluke

Hi

That's great, let me know what you come up with... just be really careful as it would be easy to overdrive the emitters with the incorrect driver.

suecanada

I am having the exact same problem today when I started using my Battery Tender Junior charger! Before the bike was on an Accumate big charger and it was up to full charge. The problem of cycling doe not happen when the bike battery is fully charged. I have used the battery tender junior before and all was well. Maybe just give it time to fully charge the battery??
So what is an isolator switch and how and where do I fit this? I am running really low on room in the battery area of the Bonneville SE. Hard enough to find a spot for the controller box. I had V1. and had problems so BikeVis very good about replacing the whole units. Everytime though that I try to fix something...something else goes wrong! ???  These are complications I don't need for a simpler calmer life!!

Sue

Fluke

Hi Sue

I've just this second sent you an email, but this is the same... the trickle charger is raising the voltage and switching on the lights.

An isolator switch on the red control box wire will allow you to disconnect everything totally when charging.

Regards

strum

I just bought a waterpoof switch for £2.99.  Very easy to fit - or ask someone who's handy with a soldering iron.

RCE

Another option if you have a permanently wired connection for your charger...

Get a matching plug, wire the cree to the plug. When charging unplug the cree, plug in the charger

Fluke

strum

Just installed a separate fusebox which is wired into the rear brake circuit, so the lights are now switched.  Sorted.    ;D

Fluke