new mot rules 2012

Started by topgun44, August 18, 2011, 11:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

topgun44

HID lights – Specifically those aftermarket kits that give the very bright headlight beams. Any cars found with these kits will be an automatic MOT failure. Testers are able to easily spot the difference between HID kits, and manufacturer fitted Xenon's. Easy to spot as Xenon cars have suspension level sensors, in car beam adjuster, and usually headlight washers.
Chipped ECU's - Unsure of just how/if this one will realistically be enforced, but any cars with chipped ECU's will in theory be an MOT failure. I can only assume VOSA have found an easy way of checking ECU software through the cars OBD port (diagnostic plug).
Wiring harness – The general condition of he wiring harness will be checked to make sure there is no rubbing or chaffing, and that the harnesses are in generally good condition. If unsecure, or damaged again MOT failure.
Airbag warning lights - If any warning lights are illuminated, it will again be an MOT failure.
this dont look good :-[

Fluke

Hi

Thanks for the updates, will have to reasearch this a bit.

It's interesting changes, though I wonder how they will inforce it.

For a motorcycle HID, there is no way you could have auto leveling as the bike moves way to fast. I do doubt they will inforce it for bikes.

The chipped ECUs is just silly, why does that make a car or bike dangerous ?. So all us guys with power commanders will fail a MOT ? :)

As for the airbag warning light, I will add one on my bike that is on all the time  ;D

Fluke

Ive spoken with a UK MOT tester and there are no new rules regarding HIDs next year for motorcycles... good news!

topgun44

NeiljohnUK

HID lights – Specifically those aftermarket kits that give the very bright headlight beams. Any cars found with these kits will be an automatic MOT failure. Testers are able to easily spot the difference between HID kits, and manufacturer fitted Xenon's. Easy to spot as Xenon cars have suspension level sensors, in car beam adjuster, and usually headlight washers.

GOOD, with the number of muppets in lowered polo's and similar crap tin boxes who fit them and blind everybody else on the road it's about time!

Fluke

darich

Quote from: NeiljohnUK on November 27, 2011, 08:28:35 PM

GOOD, with the number of muppets in lowered polo's and similar crap tin boxes who fit them and blind everybody else on the road it's about time!

Said muppets will simply change their bulbs for the MOT (assuming they even have one) for the test, get the certificate, then put the illegal HIDs back in.