News:

14/04/2022 - Summer is almost here!

Main Menu

Philips X-treme

Started by markgrinyer, August 16, 2015, 06:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markgrinyer

Hi Fluke

Do the Philips Xtreme bulbs emit light around the HID frequency of 5-6000k?

I'm buying a ZZR1100 next tuesday (when I get paid) and as its an old bike ('95) I'm worried about putting the electrics under too much load with dual HIDs which I would normally fit (and have to my current st1100, just a shame the rest of the bike is shot), but I love having the 'natural' light around 5000k, especially with all the night riding I do. Having said that if I ever get the keys to a 2nd gen zzr1400 it'll be 4xHID kit plus your led side lights (just imagine the power of that)

Many thanks
Mark

Fluke

Hi Mark

Glad to here of the new bike on the road... she may be old but it's a hell of a motor on the big Z.

The Philips +130s are 3700K.. so a little whiter than a OEM / normal halogen. With a halogen they cannot go much higher in colour temp without reducing the light output (which is not a problem on HID which by nature outputs much more light even at high K)

Regards

markgrinyer

Do you think the ZZR11 could handle 2 H4 HID kits? I'm not sure what the alternator rating etc is like on these compared with the ST1100

Fluke

Hi Mark

I must admit I'm not sure. The last bike I tried and failed was a '99 blade. It more down to the battery to be honest as the alternator is not generating anything of any note on startup until engine fires up and revs...  Battery has to handle the starter motor and HIDs firing up.

I could PM you the address of a place who would supply two kits (you could get the R rated bulbs that give better beam pattern in older reflector light units)

If the worst comes to worst and you had HID startup problems you could uprate the battery (though this is largely guess work on my part that it would solve your problem)

Regards

markgrinyer

Hi Dan

In the first few months the bike is going to go through a massive modernisation plan anyway, which includes getting a motobatt quadflex battery. The bike will be getting 30min runs between start ups just on my commute (better than the 7 mins previously in my old job)

Incidentally a habit I've got into on my pan since my alternator died (running it on the aux coil as the 3 phase fused together) is starting the engine then turning on the HIDs. Sometimes one bulb strikes up (still plenty of light and the voltage stays higher than no lights on :/)or normally both strike up and the first period of high speed running the voltage is up then it sits about 12 volts (so one trip too or from work is normally just with side lights to compensate as I get 15.5v) once the engine revs drop for a junction and the voltage doesn't seem to recover - Hence getting rid of the thing next week

and Yes please, one day I might buy a bike where I can buy the kits straight from you lol

Many thanks
Mark

Fluke

markgrinyer

Hi Dan

Just a quick update

Turns out this bike already has proper HIDs so not worrying about them

I have also decided I'm going to get those Aux Lights I brought for the pan fitted onto the base of the mirrors (on the zzr1100 they stick up vertically then fold out to the mirrors. Will send a pic when its all done

Fluke

Great news Mark... keep us posted how it goes :)

Regards

markgrinyer

Hi Dan

I managed to blow the bottom end out of the ZZR1100 (don't ask me how but the crank was in 4 pieces) so I now have a Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace '02 model.

Which bulbs would I need from the philips as one does dipped and one does main? Would they both be H7's?

Many thanks
Mark

Fluke

Ouch!!!!

I must admit I'm not sure.... any mention in owners manual ?

markgrinyer

I don't have one. A quick google search just throws up the wattage info.

Has a look at some paperwork I got with the bike and it says its a H4 and H7 set up. Im guessing this is quite common. You'll have my order by 22:30 ;)

Fluke

Thanks Mark...  Order all packed and leaving tomorrow.

btw, any clues to why the bottom end of the ZZR let go ?, I thought they were bullet proof.

markgrinyer

The garage originally said it was because I was thrashing it after the previous owner was gentle with it, until I pointed out the GPS linked camera fitted to the front of the bike  (all the evidence police would need) then they said it was running dry, but now I work in haulage I've learned the value of pre-ride checks and track the oil level and it was above the low line, so now they think it was the timing belt slipped causing the engine to go out of balance and self destruct. To be fair to them they bent over backwards to look after me, giving me £1000 for a written of 96 zzr11 (I paid 1350 back of the garage number). I wanted to get an er5 they had but they refused to sell it to me as they said it wouldn't cope with the miles I do (80 a day on motorways).

Fluke

Glad the garage came good in the end. It's strange to say you were thrashing it though... I cannot see it possible to 'thrash' a big ZZR...  Not without keeping your license though :)

markgrinyer

I pick my moments. And I go riding with police officers (off duty) quite a bit so they've taught me a thing or two about reading the road properly ;). The ones I go riding with have the attitude of if your going to ride like an idiot, let us show you how to do it without becoming a statistic