Resolved: LED DRL Dim when indicator flashing?

Started by astoll, October 03, 2010, 05:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astoll

Hi there,

I am thinking of fitting some super bright LED daytime running lights inside the indicator enclosure on my Triumph Sprint ST1050 but would like the respective light to dim/switch off when the indicator on that side is flashing. This would prevent the DRL from reducing the effectiveness of the indicator. This is what an Audi does when you put your indicator on.

Do you have a module or unit that provides this functionality please? I am guessing you would need to sense power to indicator prior to the relay so that you didn't get the DRL flashing on and off in time with the indicator??

Thanks in advance.

Fluke

Hi

It's a interesting idea and could be easily done with a relay.

Have the DRLs running through a normally closed contact of a relay (so one side of contact to 12v, the other to DRL feed), and connect the relay coil power to your indicator circuit (the feed to the flasher unit). When you powered your indicators the DRL would turn off and stay off while they were flashing.

We don't have anything that would do this in store, but you could easily create it with a automotive relay.

Maybe a simpler idea though is to locate the DRLs away from the turn signals... have you seen our new Cree units ?, very VERY bright.

Regards

astoll

I already have a row of LED's mounted centrally under the nose of the fairing (below the headlights) but fancied adding some more in the mirrors! Can you recommend any of your products for mounting inside the indicator enclosure? I am guessing something like the sidelight replacement bulb would probably be good?

Also, is it possible to dim the LED to say 20% of normal brightness instead of turning it off all together?

Thanks!

RCE

If the indicators are normal bulbs then you could try connecting negative cable from DRL to switched positive to indicator bulb.

When indicator off, current flows though bulb but should be low enough not to light bulb. When indicator flashes the DRL has the same potential on both sides and therefore goes out.

Of course you try this at your own risk.

Fluke

Quote from: RCE on October 03, 2010, 07:50:28 PM
If the indicators are normal bulbs then you could try connecting negative cable from DRL to switched positive to indicator bulb.

When indicator off, current flows though bulb but should be low enough not to light bulb. When indicator flashes the DRL has the same potential on both sides and therefore goes out.

Of course you try this at your own risk.

Thats a really cunning idea, I like it :)

Fluke

Quote from: astoll on October 03, 2010, 05:46:15 PM
I already have a row of LED's mounted centrally under the nose of the fairing (below the headlights) but fancied adding some more in the mirrors! Can you recommend any of your products for mounting inside the indicator enclosure? I am guessing something like the sidelight replacement bulb would probably be good?

Also, is it possible to dim the LED to say 20% of normal brightness instead of turning it off all together?

Thanks!

I'm not sure what sort of LED unit you could fit in the indicator housing...   the Bullet LEDs are very small and often people mount them under the indicator itself. Whats the indicated setup on your ST ?, stalks or flush fit ?