Suzuki GSF650 Installation

Started by martin999, December 20, 2009, 06:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin999

Please note that cameras do not capture the brightness of the LED lighting used in our products

Had some time today to get all my goodies installed on the bike!

Being naked, mounting places are limited.  I decided to make some brackets to take a pair of bullets either side of the lower fork brace...

Quick test fit to make sure I measured and made right!

Now time to fit the bullets to the brackets

On the bike and wires up into the headlight housing.... getting a little crowded in here!
(Also realised that I forgot to take a decent close up with them fitted!! I'll post one later!)

Podmod preped and ready to go inside the headlight housing.  I like to use crimp bullet connectors so reverting back to stock is easy.
The blue crimps are for the bullets.

Quick test fire...

And then all back together

Also bought the brake light modulator and replaced the stock bulb with a red/white bulb from Aceparts
see here >> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260347630168&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT << forr more info.
Here it is ready for the install

And here it is all fitted!  No pictures of it working I'm afraid because not having used the bike for at least a month the battery went flat!!

Fluke

Fantastic job and love the brackets you made... looks evil!!

Thanks for the guide, would love to see finished results from Brake Mod with that bulb..

Regards

martin999

Update on the install....

Here is the picture of the bullets on the lower fork brace that I forgot to take the first time!

As far as the LED rear light and Brake Mod goes, I'm afraid things went from bad to worse!!

1st, it was obvious that the replacement LED bulb was nowhere near as bright as the standard bulb.  I set my camera up on a tripod and used manual settings to compare the brightness.  The following were taken with the engine running.

The standard bulb..

and the LED bulb

Then it got worse!!  The replacement bulb is VERY intolerant to change in supply voltage.  With the engine on the battery voltage is, as you would expect, around 13.4V.  When the indicators are used, the supply drops a little, the result being that the rear light (tail and brake) flashes in opposition to the indicators!

So it was back to the stock bulb and my little LED tail light project has been promoted to high priority!!

It should be noted that the problems with the LED bulb is nothing to do with the brake mod, as it was out of circuit at the time!

Fluke

Thanks for the updated photos.

I think the reason your having trouble with the LED bulb is that it doesn't emit light from 360 degrees, meaning your reflector 'facets' in the rear light to not light very well.

It's always a problem when retrofitting a cluster meant for halogen bulbs...

martin999

Yes, I agree Dan.  Even though the bulb was supposed to be 360 it only had 6 white LEDs around the outside.  I think the main problem was the viewing angle of the forward facing LEDs.  It has a claimed output of 240,000 mcd, but at a guess I would say that the viewing angle would be 10 deg max.  Using the on-line calculator I found 240,000 mcd at 10 deg only equates to around 6 lumens.  Even if I was extremely optimistic and gave them 30 degrees, it still only works out at 50 lumens.

The high intensity LEDs I am going to use for the brake light are the best part of 5 lumens each.... and I'm going to use 24 of them!!  8)