Yamaha FZ6-N & Ermax Screen Installation

Started by RCE, July 22, 2009, 09:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RCE

Please note that cameras do not capture the brightness of the LED lighting used in our products

Thanks to Dan for quickly posting my side light LEDs and pair of BikeVis they arrived today.

Here is my quick install pictures.

Removed my Ermax screen and headlight. Stripped back a bit of insulation on both wires that go to the side light bulb. To these I soldered a pair of wires pre terminated (by me) into a PC hard drive plug, wire length about 60mm.

I then mounted the BikeVis onto the side of my Ermax screen (I had already got holes from my previous LED lights). Both sets of leads I slid inside 3.5mm heatshrink from Maplin. Brought them together towards centre of screen and then terminated into a female PC hard drive plug. I left sufficient length to allow the leads to pass over the top of the headlight and around the back.

The plugs were joined together and the lights tested, all working OK so tie wrapped the plug together so it doesn't accidentally come apart (I used a hard drive plug 'cause it was easy to get hold of).

I used self amalgamating tape to bind wires together and make a neat job, self amalgamating tape will eventually become one protective cover, and is often used in automotive applications.

RCE

Everything bolted back together and looks great.

Will get some better photos and some video soon.

Fluke

Hiya

Thats a REALLY neat job there with the install. Great idea also with the molex PC connectors...

Self Amalg tape is amazing stuff as well.. use it all the time also :)

Think the finished job looks really good, looking forward to some more photos...

How do you find the light levels compared with the old plate lights you had on ?

Cheers

RCE

Think the brightness level is about the same in my quick appraisal in my bike shed last night. Didn't have beer for installation so had to use neat Baileys, so wasn't in a fit state to take the bike out the shed by the time I had finished  ;D  but they do look neater, and better quality than the reg plate lights.

Going away for a couple of days, but will get more photos and further thoughts when I get back.

Alan

Fluke

Glad they all ok and hope they survive ok where others failed... like the neat Baileys idea, Baileys does kinda creep up on you after a few glasses  ;D

Speak soon

RCE

Just to say well impressed with them, the headlight looks like a sidelight by comparison in daylight conditions. If it ever stops raining for long enough will get some more pictures and video ;)

Wife wants some on her GSR now, so need to work out if we have a suitable mounting position as it is all curves on the front end.

Fluke

:)

Well if you end up getting another pair, drop me an email and I'll give you a link to knock the P&P off...

Looking forward to some more photos or vid, thanks for all the help.

RCE

Had a look at GSR and looks like the wedge LEDs will do the job, especially as headlight takes two lamps. Hopefully this will give a similar effect to the pods which would have been tricky to fit in a location that they would properly face forward.

Order placed :) will get some shots when fitted.

Fluke

Thats great, yes they will give exactly the same colour / light output....  have got your order packed up and shipping today :)