Resolved: Yamaha TDM900 - Spacer query

Started by Johnlaas, April 03, 2010, 07:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnlaas

Hi all

I have this afternoon fitted HID unit. Just one concern is the security of the bulb. Despite bending the spring I am not happy with how tight it is. I have seen reference elsewhere to using a spacer. What have other people used to provide the extra thickness to the base of the bulb
to make it tight?

That aside it's looking great.

John

Fluke

Hi John

Glad you got the HID in and working ok.

Because of differences in thickness of HID bulb base and stock bulbs this can happen, but quite rare. It all depends on how tight the bike manufacturer made the clips.

I think you just need to get something under where the clips hold the bulb to add abit of thickness and pad it out abit. You could make a plastic ring out of a old plastic box maybe ?

Regards

Johnlaas

The TDM light fitting has an integral spacer of something like 5mm. I will try and some pastic ring as suggested and let you know how I get on. 

Johnlaas

Just a thought but I see one or two similar comments on here. With that in mind I wonder if a spacer could be made available. Maybe something that could be built up into different thickness'

Fluke

Hi

Thanks for the idea, the only problem is in the rare case that a spacer is needed to pad out the bulb, it varies.

I'll look into it though for sure..

Did you have any luck getting a tighter fit ?

Regards

Johnlaas

Sorry, not yet. Am thinking I will get some plastic sheet from hobby shop and cut some rings. Layering these up to appropriate thickness unless anyone else has a suggestion on what to use.

John

Fluke

Maybe some perspex, which can easily be cut. B&Q sell small sheets of it I think...