Resolved: LED brake modulator problem

Started by dirtha, July 12, 2010, 01:53:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtha

Fluke or anybody,
I have a new 2009 Kawasaki Versys.  I have installed the BVBLM-LED unit in mode 3(gray and black wires to ground).  The brake light modulates properly when the brake is applied. The tail light operates at a lower intensity as expected, but there is an occasional "micro" flash.  These are single quick flashes, seem to occur totally at random, sometimes shortly separated, sometimes at intervals of a minute or more.  If the gray wire is disconnected, these flashes stop, but the tail light is then nearly as bright as when braking--not what I want!

I have re-checked that the connections are according to your instructions.  They are all soldered and shrink wrapped.  The ground point(which is the ECU and Fuse ground) has been sanded bare and cleaned.  I have tried alternate ground points to no avail.

Any Ideas?

zeuter

Hi dirtha,  Does this problem occur only with the engine running?

dirtha

Quote from: zeuter on July 12, 2010, 04:44:05 PM
Hi dirtha,  Does this problem occur only with the engine running?
Yes, I believe so. Definitely.

zeuter

Sounds like high voltage transient spikes, it happens with some bikes and they are a nightmare to find the cause when they are random as you describe.  The best place to connect the Ground wire (and Grey in mode 3) is the Ground wire feeding the LED cluster.  You mentioned trying alternative Grounds, was this one of them?

In the meantime, PM me your address and I'll put a suppressor in the post tomorrow.  It'll take about a week as it's coming from Greece.  This may or may not solve the issue, if not, I'll send you a different type when I return to UK on 3 August, sorry, I don't have one here.

dirtha

Quote from: zeuter on July 12, 2010, 06:28:21 PM
The best place to connect the Ground wire (and Grey in mode 3) is the Ground wire feeding the LED cluster.  You mentioned trying alternative Grounds, was this one of them?
There are 4 or 5 grounds merging to one main point. I will check to see whether one is indeed the cluster.

Quote from: zeuter on July 12, 2010, 06:28:21 PMIn the meantime, PM me your address and I'll put a suppressor in the post tomorrow.  It'll take about a week as it's coming from Greece.  This may or may not solve the issue, if not, I'll send you a different type when I return to UK on 3 August, sorry, I don't have one here.

PM'd.  Thank you!

zeuter

Hi dirtha,  suppressor will leave here tomorrow.  Connect the RED to RED and BLACK to BLACK on the module.  This will hopefully filter the voltage spikes causing the problem.  Let me know how you get on.

dirtha

Quote from: zeuter on July 12, 2010, 11:29:18 PM

Hi dirtha,  suppressor will leave here tomorrow.  Connect the RED to RED and BLACK to BLACK on the module.  This will hopefully filter the voltage spikes causing the problem.  Let me know how you get on.

The suppressor arrived today, but did not solve the problem..................

Fluke

This is a really weird one as most modern Kawasakis all use a very similar LED cluster also.

I think you'll need to try this other kind of suppressor.......