2009 Street Triple R

Started by darich, July 10, 2014, 11:06:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darich

I am about to trade my ER6 for the Street Triple R and have been spoiled by the HID lighting I had on the Kwak.
I'd love a similar upgrade on the Striple but both dipped lights come on simultaneously giving a completely different set up to what I had before. I found a thread from someone else with a Striple and was hoping for a bit of confirmation on a few questions.
Can I upgrade the lights to HID in a similar manner to before ie plug and play?
I noticed that BiXenons were mentioned.....are these also simply plug and play and presumably both bulbs would be changed?
Finally, with BiXenon (I've had that on cars before) and I presume the bike is the same, dipped light is xenon and high beam is also xenon? in both lights?
How much is a BiXenon kit? and would I need one kit to cover both lights or one kit per light?
Where is the best place to site the ballast units?

Apologies for the barrage of questions!!!
thanks

Fluke

Hi

Congratulations on the new ride, lovely machines!!

Though in theory you could fit two HID BiXenon kits there is a problem that often crops up on dual light bikes. Though the running consumption is just 35 Watts each HID, the start up consumption is up to 80 Watts..  this 160 Watts at startup is way beyond what your bikes electrics were designed to handle and can result in one or both HIDs not igniting.

The BiXenon kits work by switching between high and low patterns using a shutter / mask. The HID bulb is moves within this shutter and gives the desired beam pattern. Location of the Ballast depends on bike, and though the Ballasts are small it might be tough to locate two of them on a naked bike.

The actual install is no different than a normal single beam HID

We currently are not supplying dual kits due to risk of them not working (it's a slim chance but very possible)... but if you drop me an email to sales@bikevis.com we can send a link to a supplier who could still sell you a pair.

Hope the above helps a little

Regards

darich

Thanks
I don't want to risk damaging the bike so if two won't work I'd rather avoid the risk.
What I did wonder though if it was possible to fit one hid to one light and that is them the only light that works for dipped beam. The other would be off most of the time and would be high beam only.
I know this could be done but would it be easy? And would it mean cutting the existing loom?

Fluke

Hi

I'm pretty sure you won't risk damaging anything, it's just if the voltage drops on engine start too much during the HID ignition stage.

You could put a break in the low beam wire of one of your lights, but I think it's probably better to have the twin setup fully functional.

Have you thought about trying some upgraded bulbs ?, we do have in stock Phillips H4 +100% bulbs that give up to 100% more light than OEM.

darich

Hi
I'm still thinking about the HIDs but not quite sure about the best approach. I think best would be to use HIS in one and that would be dipped only. The other would be highbeam only. But I'd need my electrician mate to sort it for me...I'm sure that would work but I don't know enough about electrics to do it myself.
In the meantime I fancy a pair of bullets. I'm at work so can't examine the bike but any suggestions on ideal locations and on how to wire them in? Normally I'd tap into the sidelights but I think they're inside the headlamps on the Striple, so I'd need to trace the wire....no big deal but if you know of, or can think of an easier, simpler alternative, I'd love to hear it.
Cheers

Fluke

Hi

Location is a tough one on a naked bike but you can usually find a location... you might be able to get some ideas from the forums here from what others have done.

A splice into the sidelight wiring is still best method I think, and the wires should be easily found exiting the headlight cluster.

I wish manufacturers would put a full electrical schematic in owner manuals.. would make life so much easier.

Regards

krakastan

posting late to this, but for future ref.....

I have been running twin HIDs on my 2009 Street Triple since dec 2011.....(not an easy install - one ballast stuck to each side of the stem to the dash unit - but well worth it)

a few issues initially as they often struggled to light when switching the ignition on....

so i fitted a manual switch so that I only start them when the engine is running (fixed the problem most of the time...)

Then i fitted a 10 sec delay relay on one of the hids so they start 10 secs apart - never looked back  :D

....and would not be without either of them

(as an aside - the 2003 kawasaki ninja runs twin HIDS (stock manual switch) without any issue!)

Fluke

Hi

Thanks for the advice / tips. We have heard of this method before but involves a lot more wiring / DIY so don't actively recommend it.

Glad you found a solution though, it's that initial surge as the HID Arc fires that causes issues on many occasions.

Regards

darich

I did find out about delay relays but I'm not an electrician so wouldn't want to tackle it.

darich

I know this is an old thread but it's mine...so I'm resurrecting it! :p

As far as HIDs are concerned.....Dan...you said the bi-xenon install was the same as a standard xenon. That's fine...I've done it before on my ER6f.

Krakastan.....you fitted a relay to delay ignition of the lights......is it necessary for both lights or just the one? I've seen delay relays on ebay and I'm going to ask my electrician mate if he'll help wire them so I'm trying to confirm the details before I go ahead and spend a lot of money on the kit.

Will the Bixenon set up work ok in the stock light units?
I have the nose cone on my bike so I'd try to install the ballasts in there.....is that the best bet?

Many thanks
David

Fluke

Hi David

I would say just delay one of the lights as it's the surge of two firing up that can too much when combined with starter motor.

Some bikes however run two HIDs no problem without modification. (as a note I modded a old CBR900 and it would not light two)

If you want to buy some please contact me first sales@bikevis.com

The BiXenon bulbs should fit pretty much any headlight unit no problem. The Ballasts in the nose sounds a good idea... they just need to be hidden away somewhere, and though waterproof the drier the better.

darich

Thanks

I'll email before I order anything.

My mate who's an electrician doesn't envisage any issues although he's not an auto-electrician....but has stripped a car to a shell and rewired it for rallying purposes so knows his stuff.

It does sound tempting but I still need to read a little before I go and spend over £100 on stuff.

I'll definitely contact you before I order anything.

Many thanks
David

Fluke

Sounds like he's the kind of person you need for a job like this :)

Keep me posted!

Regards