Resolved: Cree LED question

Started by Jhw, July 25, 2011, 09:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jhw

I am thinking about installing Cree LED running lights on a BMW K1600 - rather than BMW's own auxiliary LED lights. I thought the easiest way to wire these would by taking a feed from the wiring running to the on-board auxiliary power socket & which on the BMW is only powered with the ignition on. The maximum load allowed for the socket is quoted in the handbook to be 10A. I note from the Cree instructions that the controller box must always be used.  Since I will want to have the Cree lights on all the time when the ignition is on is there another reason why I should not wire them directly from the wiring to the 12V power socket or is the controller box more than just a relay? Thanks for your advice.

Fluke

Hi

Thanks for your post and interest in our lighting.

Like you say you must use the controller box that comes with them, the reason is this houses the constant current electronics that drive the emitters in the pods.

The way the circuit is designed the control box must take it's power from a perm live, so connect straight back to the battery..

The lights are the switched on and off via two control wires, these draw almost no current so you could connect to any switched feed, your socket would be fine. Using this method no relay is ever needed as the control box handles everything via solid state switching.

Hope the above helps but please don't hesitate getting back if any further questions.

Regards