Resolved: Cree DRL dimming issue

Started by Sort it oot man, November 19, 2011, 12:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sort it oot man

Howdy folks.
I've recently bought a set of Cree lights which I've fitted to my better halfs CB500 S-X. I'm really happy with them too. Having read the destructions and a few posts on here  ;)  I wired the lights in so that they'll dim with the use of the dipped beam headlight (took switched feed from headlight circuit to a switch on the dash) and return to full brightness on main beam. This worked the other night when testing - but rain stopped play. Today I've returned to the job and blow me; the lights refuse to dim as they did before, wtf?
I have 12v coming from the dipped light circuit to the switch, but now for some weird reason the lights refuse to dim, but switch off with the dash mounted switch rather than dim.
I know it's me being dim here  :-X  I guess it's a fault in my wiring somewhere? I'll start again with the switch and see if I can't find the problem. If anyone has any suggestions from a-far, I'm all ears. TIA.
SIOM.
BTW. I'll post photies when it's sorted. 

bobvfr

Is that you John?

Trust you to complicate things  :)

Must be dark up there in Creiffshire.

Bob

Sort it oot man

Hi yah Bob. Aye it's me...

Just back from work, so off out to have another go before low light stops play.  8)

Cheers.

John.

Fluke

Hi

Sorry you are having trouble, it sounds like you are wired correctly... as long as the white wire is powered up from a 12v feed that is switched from ignition. (via a user controllable switch)

MAybe double check you are getting a 12v to the white wire when bike is running and switch is on... if still no dimming let me know and i can whiz a controller box to you on monday

Regards

Sort it oot man

Quote from: Fluke on November 19, 2011, 05:37:56 PM
Hi

Sorry you are having trouble, it sounds like you are wired correctly... as long as the white wire is powered up from a 12v feed that is switched from ignition. (via a user controllable switch)

MAybe double check you are getting a 12v to the white wire when bike is running and switch is on... if still no dimming let me know and i can whiz a controller box to you on monday

Regards

Thanks Dan. Problem was the wire from dipped beam. When I ran another slightly thinner wire it worked first time. Quality, it's sorted.  ;)

Fluke

That's strange but glad all sorted, looks fantastic.... i have found them to really help, certainly helps prevent donuts pulling out on you  8)

I'll put up the photos in our gallery forum if that's ok with you.

Cheers

Sort it oot man

Yeah, fire on Dan. Thanks. The headlight on the CB is not that great, when compared to more modern Hondas anyway, so these DRLs will make a difference I'm sure. If they prevent just one SMIDSY,  then they'll have more than paid for themselves ten times over. They'll see her coming noo, if they can't / don't hear that sporty exhaust can first?   

BTW. Another good side of wiring into the dipped beam circuit is that the Crees only dim when the dipped beam is switched on. That means the rider can choose to have front and rear tail light on with the Crees still at full brightness.

Final thought... I'll need to make sure that the indicators aren't obsured by the lights in daytime, but other than that the job's a good un.  8)

Fluke

Nice job mate... you're right, if it prevents someone pulling out who would of not seen before lights were on, then it's job done!

Any problems in the future just yell, we're always here to help

Regards

Sort it oot man

Cheers, pleasure doing business. Here's another photo of the switch, which is well hidden away in the cubby hole when the lid is on. Made fitting the switch really straightforward, which was nice...

Fluke

cunning place to mount, sorted!