News:

14/04/2022 - Summer is almost here!

Main Menu

Light modulation regulations

Started by Naked Dave, October 16, 2019, 08:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naked Dave

Hi from NZ,

I recently purchased four bullet LED lights for use on my bike. I also purchased the modulator as I thought that was a great idea about how to increase visibility.

However, when I asked the local bike shop to install them they said they couldn't install the modulator as NZ regulations prohibit the use of any sort of 'flashing' light (see 2.1A(2) below.

Is there anything of this sort in Britain?

There are also rules (I have checked now!) that say you can have up to four driving lights but they can't be on at the same time as your headlight. Even though the rules also say you have to have your headlight on at all times.

Flashing lights are out, unless they flash as part of an anti-theft alarm:
[/size]2.1A(2) The light emitted from a lamp must be steady unless otherwise specified in this Rule or any other enactment.2.1A(3) The light emitted from a flashing lamp required or permitted under this Rule must flash at a fixed frequency.2.1A(4) If the lighting equipment that is fitted to a motor vehicle is activated by an anti-theft car alarm, 2.1A(2) and 2.1A(3) do not apply.”

Fluke

Hi Dave

Sorry about the delay in reply.

The laws around the world differ greatly and are often extremely vague.

Our PodMod unit produces a 'flicker' and as such is unobtrusive on such a low powered light. Modulation on more powerful lights would be a bad idea on the road as would cause distraction to other motorists.

Regards